To see a Gynecologist before you turn 21
- 1. Learn healthy lifestyles and feel good about yourself.
- 2. Discuss good habits for healthy bones.
- 3. Learn if you have a urinary tract infection and the treatment options.
- 4. Get treatment for vaginal itching, discharge, or odor.
- 5. Learn if your periods are normal.
- 6. Get relief if your periods are painful.
- 7. Find out why your periods are too heavy.
- 8. Know about the timing of your periods and why bleeding occurs in between.
- 9. Learn ways to deal with premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Sexuality & Relationships
- 10. Maintain healthy relationships with a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- 11. Learn about healthy, consensual relationships.
- 12. Talk about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) topics.
- 13. Learn about safe sex.
- 14. Understand how your reproductive system works
- 15. Get birth control so you can better plan.
- 16. Discuss the ideal time to start a family.
- 17. Get tested for pregnancy.
- 18. Weigh your options if you become pregnant.
Sexually Transmitted Infections
- 19. Learn how to protect and lower your risk from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- 20. Get tested for STIs and HIV if you are sexually active
- 21. Get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine.
ALTHOUGH MOST YOUNG WOMEN DON'T NEED TO HAVE A PAP TEST UNTIL THEY ARE 21 YEARS OLD, THERE ARE AT LEAST 21 REASONS TO SEE A GYNECOLOGIST BEFORE THEN